This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Would like to sell our house to son

CEDDERS
Would like to sell our house to son

Postby CEDDERS » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi there,

My son is in armed forces and currently lives in rented accommodation supplied by MOD. He wants to get on housing ladder so that he has somewhere to live with his family when he leaves armed forces. After looking around locally where we live he has asked whether we would be interested in selling our house to him as he hasn't seen anything else suitable. He is willing to pay market value of £150k and we have a £20k balance to pay off mortgage. We would like to move into a small bungalow in near future but have not started looking yet and don't want to jump at first one we see.
What are the issues with us selling house to son as his main residence and remaining as rent paying lodgers using one of rooms until we find a suitable property to move into.
My son will need a mortgage to buy our house so I would also like to know if potential lenders might have an issue with this arrangement.

pawncob

Re: Would like to sell our house to son

Postby pawncob » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:04 pm

No problems if you sell him the house (at M.V.) and remain as lodgers temporarily, paying a fair rent.
Mortgage companies may have a problem with the arrangement, but as it's all family, I wouldn't tell them!
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Re: Would like to sell our house to son

Postby maths » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Assuming your house is your sole or main residence then stay in it until you find a property to move into.

Then sell to your son.

No capital gains tax on any gain you make if it's your residence.

No problems re rents, mortgages etc.

Return to “General”