This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Additional 3% stamp duty query

Het74
Additional 3% stamp duty query

Postby Het74 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:02 am

Hope someone can clarify for us. My partner has been living with me for 13 years but I am the only person on the mortgage/deeds. He owns a property that he rents out to his brother. We are selling my property to buy a house together but our solicitor has just told us that as he isn't selling his property that we will need to pay the additional 3% stamp duty. As he's not on the current deeds it is not classed as his main residence, is this right?

someone

Re: Additional 3% stamp duty query

Postby someone » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Hope someone can clarify for us. My partner has been living with me for 13 years but I am the only person on the mortgage/deeds. He owns a property that he rents out to his brother. We are selling my property to buy a house together but our solicitor has just told us that as he isn't selling his property that we will need to pay the additional 3% stamp duty. As he's not on the current deeds it is not classed as his main residence, is this right?
It depends on whether you are married (and assuming this is something else that didn't change in the budget)

If you are married then the 3% is not due.

If you not married then it is - but not if you buy it in your name alone - might not be possible if there's a mortgage involved.

Unfortunately, disposing of his let property after purchase won't get the 3% back either.

maths

Postby maths » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:57 pm

If you buy the new property with a joint mortgage but then jointly hold it for you and your co-habitee beneficially as to 100%/0% the 3% SDLT charge will be avoided.

SDLT Geek

Postby SDLT Geek » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:56 pm

I agree with the points Someone and Maths make.

There could be another angle. You say you are the only party on the title / deeds to your home. That is not in itself conclusive as to beneficial ownership, it is beneficial ownersip which is relevant to SDLT. Your partner clearly lives in your house, it is his main residence. The SDLT problem arises if you are not married and if he has no share in it.

Shares in properties can arise in a number of ways. For example if the party not on the deeds spends a lot of money on an extension with the parties agreeing that the property is to be jointly owned.

If your partner has a share in your home then you can jointly sell it and buy another to live in and escape the surcharge even though your partner retains another property.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”