This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Additional Dwelling Supplement Queries

glyall
Additional Dwelling Supplement Queries

Postby glyall » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:26 am

Hello,

I currently own a flat in Dundee. I am looking to move to Edinburgh to be with my girlfriend. She owns a flat 50-50 in Edinburgh with her friend. We intend to buy a cheap flat in Edinburgh together which needs renovation and live in it together as both of our main residences. We realise we'd have to pay the 3% Additional Dwelling Supplement for this flat. In 6-12 months, we intend to sell this flat (to ensure we can actually live together ok!) and buy a house together. Since we would be replacing our "main residence" (the Edinburgh flat) with the house, I'm guessing we wouldn't have to pay the Additional Dwelling Supplement again, since we already paid it for the flat and we'd be replacing our main residence with a new main residence? Do you have to live in a flat for a set amount of time before it is classed as your main residence? Is 6 months enough?

I also have another question with regards to main residence, my girlfriend can't convert her current flat into a "Consent to Let", since her friend who owns half the flat will still be living there. Will this effect what is classed as a main residence, as essentially she will have two homes?

It's all very complicated!

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”