This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Advise on tax paid to a European country

LadyFH
Advise on tax paid to a European country

Postby LadyFH » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:25 pm

In 2013 my birth mother, a French citizen died. As we had been close for many years she had wished me to be a beneficiary to her will. However she died before this was legally established. I had been born and adopted in England.

In 2015 her brother organised for her wishes to be carried out through a French notary. This was concluded in June 2015, with the succession tax being paid in full to the French government. The rest was transferred to me into a Euro bank account in the Isle of Man.

Late last year I had a letter from HM Revenue & Customs about this account. I wrote to them explaining that I had already paid tax on the money. They advised that if I was not sure if my tax affairs were up to date then I should seek additional advice.

I believed that because tax had been paid in full in France I didn’t think that it would be taxed further. Please can you advise whether I need to pay tax again on this money? Thank you

AmanSood

Re: Advise on tax paid to a European country

Postby AmanSood » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:49 pm

In 2013 my birth mother, a French citizen died. As we had been close for many years she had wished me to be a beneficiary to her will. However she died before this was legally established. I had been born and adopted in England.

In 2015 her brother organised for her wishes to be carried out through a French notary. This was concluded in June 2015, with the succession tax being paid in full to the French government. The rest was transferred to me into a Euro bank account in the Isle of Man.

Late last year I had a letter from HM Revenue & Customs about this account. I wrote to them explaining that I had already paid tax on the money. They advised that if I was not sure if my tax affairs were up to date then I should seek additional advice.

I believed that because tax had been paid in full in France I didn’t think that it would be taxed further. Please can you advise whether I need to pay tax again on this money? Thank you
You shouldn't have to pay any UK tax on the initial capital/amount inherited assuming your mum was not domiciled in the UK. However, any interest earned subsequently on the bank account would potentially have to be declared and tax paid accordingly. We have an article on this which can be accessed at the below link which includes a example letter from HMRC which I suspect is similar to the letter you received.

http://e-taxconsulting.com/onewebmedia/Taxation%20of%20offshore%20income%20-%201%20September%202017.pdf
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “International Tax”