This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Are gifts frozen until prpbate is granted?

Treggy
Are gifts frozen until prpbate is granted?

Postby Treggy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Hello If I make a cash gift to my son, who is our executor, on our death is that gift not accessible by my son until IHT is paid and probate granted, or is it 'his' and whilst included (depending on 7 year rule etc) in the estate for IHT calculations, available if he wishes to use it to help pay the estate's IHT?

Lee Young

Re: Are gifts frozen until prpbate is granted?

Postby Lee Young » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:29 pm

Are you making the gift in your lifetime (in which case the seven year rule applies, but he already has the gift so no freezing) or is it made in your will (in which case the funds will probably not be accessible till probate is granted)?
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

Treggy

Re: Are gifts frozen until prpbate is granted?

Postby Treggy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks Lee. Gift would be my lifetime.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”