This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Australian Earnings

Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:33 pm

Australian Earnings

Postby CG » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:43 pm


I need to complete a UK tax return due to property income in the UK, but have claimed Split Year Treatment due to moving to Australia part way through the tax year.

I realise UK employment income up to the date of leaving should go on the tax return, but should Australian employed income from an Australian company also be declared, even though it is not taxable in the UK?

Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Re: Australian Earnings

Postby AdamS93 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Probably not. If you actually do qualify for split year treatment that is - they are very specific sets of rules and are often not met.

Now you have moved abroad, the UK property income will have to be dealt with under the Non-Resident Landlord scheme which is something you will want to be made aware of.

Return to “Income Tax”