This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Back dating salary? Accountant says its fine.

xray123
Back dating salary? Accountant says its fine.

Postby xray123 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:42 pm

My company was only established two months ago, but I have been working on my business since July 2015.

I have asked my accountant if it is acceptable to back date salary, and he has advised I can back date to April 2016.

Is there any tax or legal implications if my company was only established 2 months ago and I want to back date pay?

bd6759

Re: Back dating salary? Accountant says its fine.

Postby bd6759 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:05 pm

Explain what you mean by "back date". What do expect to acheive?

robbob

Re: Back dating salary? Accountant says its fine.

Postby robbob » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:05 am

Practicably speaking there is unlikely to be any need to "backdate salary" - simply paying a higher salary September or October to play catch up will normally have the same result as what would have been achieved by actually paying the salary earlier - in summary i am guessing your accountant is advising you pay "catch up salary now" rather than backdated salary.

Return to “Income Tax”