This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Back dating salary? Accountant says its fine.

xray123
Back dating salary? Accountant says its fine.

Postby xray123 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:00 pm

My company was only formed two months ago, but I have been working on my business since July 2015.

I have asked my accountant if it is acceptable to back date salary, and he has advised I can back date to April 2016.

Is there any tax or legal implications if my company was only established 2 months ago and I want to back date pay?

AmanSood

Re: Back dating salary? Accountant says its fine.

Postby AmanSood » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:56 pm

I assume you are looking to backdate pay to maximise any unused personal allowances from prior years? Then unfortunately you can't utilise the personal allowances from previous years as the salary was not paid then. So although you can backdate the salary you will have to use the personal allowance/tax rates/thresholds for the tax year in which it is paid out to you.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “Income Tax”