This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Balancing Charge on Van Sold, does it apply?

raulaco
Balancing Charge on Van Sold, does it apply?

Postby raulaco » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi there

Just a few things about me, I run a small business and I'm a sole trader who uses cash basis on my taxes. I just have a quick question about a vehicle i sold in the previous tax year.

I recently sold my van for a sum of £700 which I had previously claimed as a capital allowance for £2200 on a previous tax return (2014/2015), I claimed 100 percent of this at the time. I was just wondering if the £700 would stand as a balancing charge on the last tax return I sold it on.

I have no other capital allowances on my tax forms, this is the only one since i commenced my business.

When I claimed the capital allowance of the van in 2014/2015 it didn't benefit me in any way for tax purposes as I was just starting out my business, does this make any difference to the balancing charge or am i still liable for the £700 on the previous tax return which I'm assuming I add as income on top of my total earned for the tax year I sold it in?

If I'm doing it completely wrong please say, my business is quite simple but need to get this balancing charge correct. I am paying taxes for my previous year so it would make a difference either way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
Chris

bd6759

Re: Balancing Charge on Van Sold, does it apply?

Postby bd6759 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:33 pm

You don't get capital allowances as such when using the cash basis. All expenditure, whether capital or revenue, is allowed as a deduction. The contra is that all receipts are income. The sale of your van is income and is added to sales.

Return to “General”