This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Benefits for Self Employed When Out of Work

CG
Benefits for Self Employed When Out of Work

Postby CG » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi

If someone who is self employed has a period where they have no work, what benefits are they entitled to? As I understand it they can claim means tested Jobseekers Allowance - what are the criteria for this?

Will they be eligible for Universal Credit and 'New Style' JSA?

Thanks.

robbob

Re: Benefits for Self Employed When Out of Work

Postby robbob » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:31 am

This isn't really a benefits website so help may be limited, i would recommend ringing the relevant official bodies direct as first line of enquiry i think universal credit availability may still depend on where you live.
I would recommend double checking independently too with citizens advise / google too (guessing that may have brought you here ?) to see if the advise you have been given is correct.

Presuming you are sole trader ensure you make them aware you have been actively self employed and where you are up to class 2 NI wise - unless you have submitted and paid class 2NI for year just finished they may be unaware that you may be in a covered by stamp period.

I would guess if you have no savings no income no partner no savings are are actively looking some claim should be able to be made possibly even if you have some of the mentioned items.

Don't forget looking into tax credits too if you are old enough.

Best of luck navigating the benefits nightmare.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”