This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Benefits without exceeding NIC Threshold?

MickyV
Benefits without exceeding NIC Threshold?

Postby MickyV » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:18 am

My business pays each of its employees (all family members) £8,400 per year so no NI is payable.

If it also paid for gym membership, holiday travel, other bills etc. I understand that the employee would need to pay Income Tax on the benefit; but would the employer and/or the employee also have to pay National Insurance?

If so, would the employer then have to pay NI on the £8400 salary because the total of salary+benefits exceeds the Threshold?

pawncob

Re: Benefits without exceeding NIC Threshold?

Postby pawncob » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:42 am

NIC is charged on the excess only.
See:http://nicecalculator.hmrc.gov.uk/Class1NICs1.aspx
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

MickyV

Postby MickyV » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:01 am

Thank you.

Are there any benefits which can be provided which do NOT attract NIC (and therefore may be preferable to declaring a dividend)?

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Unless you're reimbursing the costs of usch benefits, I feel this is Class 1A not Class 1?

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”