This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Bonus - 40% - Company Car Tax Question

jagjag363
Bonus - 40% - Company Car Tax Question

Postby jagjag363 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi All,

I have a query, i’m starting a new role with the following salary structure:

Basic - £35,000
Bonus - £2,500 (minimum) every quarter

The question I have relates to the company car. My basic has me in the 20% tax bracket. But with my bonus I will get into the 40% bracket.

Obviously the company car payment doubles when you get into the higher tax bracket. When exactly will I start paying the higher company car tax rate?

Will it be at the end of the first quarter when I get my first bonus? (My thinking behind this is they might calculate using a projection of basic + bonus)

Or will it be at the end of the year when I actually earn the full 45,000 and I will pay the higher company car tax in the next tax year?

If anyone could help me with this I would really appreciate it, i’ve struggled to find an answer online for this.

Return to “Income Tax”