This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buy To Let Family Loan

Mason1880
Buy To Let Family Loan

Postby Mason1880 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi All

We have a property purchased from a family member. The deal was that we would pay the family member £600 a month for the property for 20 years until paid off.

This will mean we pay the family member £144k. However we have now rented the property out as we moved away and didn’t want to sell it.

The properties in the area sell for around £110k so the reason we paid more was that the extra £34k was to be interest, cheaper than the high street and we were happy with this.

The first 4 years we have paid off the interest, however now we are renting the property out in this year’s tax return how do I deal with this as the rental income was £9,000 but we paid £7,200 to the family member as interest on the deal.

Would this be treat the same as mortgage interest?

Thanks in advance.

AdamS93

Re: Buy To Let Family Loan

Postby AdamS93 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:13 am

No.

The whole £600 will not be interest, only a small proportion of it will be.

Remember, the 'interest' will be taxable income from the perspective of your family member.

If you were investigated, HMRC would probably disallow the lot as if you are effectively lending that sort of money and charging interest you need to be regulated by the FCA I believe so HMRC would argue that you are not paying any interest at all, and if you were you are in breach of FCA regulations.

Mason1880

Re: Buy To Let Family Loan

Postby Mason1880 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:02 pm

The whole amount is interest as we agreed to pay this first before we started to pay off the property.

I would assume FSA regulations etc is something for the family member to be concerned over and not me as lender?

Return to “Property Taxation”