This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buying out Connected Person

Lockwood
Buying out Connected Person

Postby Lockwood » Thu May 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi, hoping someone can advise. I jointly own a property with a relative ( a good idea at the time - not so now ! ) On purchase we put equal amounts in regarding equity. Now the equity in the property is 75/25.
We are looking to part waves. . The property purchase was 150k and now MV is 190k. Is the CGT payable on 20k ( 190k - 150k divided by 2 ) or 75% / 25 % of 40k depending on who buys out who ?
Thanking all contributors in advance.

maths

Re: Buying out Connected Person

Postby maths » Fri May 25, 2018 9:48 am

Was the original property owned 50/50 and subsequently one of you bought 25% of the other so that currently the equity is split 75/25?

Lockwood

Postby Lockwood » Fri May 25, 2018 11:03 am

Originally I put in 50k to get the transaction in place as it was convenient. Lenders will not lend for a Buy to Let if you are not a homeowner and my sister was not a homeowner at the time. The property was in joint names at the outset. I was repaid 25k later by my sister. Then my sister paid another 50k against the mortgage. So she has 75k invested and I have 25k invested.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Tue May 29, 2018 11:25 am

How much of the property do you consider yourself to own? If 25% and you are bought out, you would be taxed on 25% of your gain - so £10k (which is beneath your annual exemption)

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”