This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can a capital gain loss be used to offset income tax?

foxmccloud
Can a capital gain loss be used to offset income tax?

Postby foxmccloud » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

If someone bought a commodity and made a big loss can that be used to reduce their income tax?

If the above can't be done, can be be used to offset any capital gains in the following years?

greybags1

Re: Can a capital gain loss be used to offset income tax?

Postby greybags1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:51 pm

What's been bought and sold?

foxmccloud

Postby foxmccloud » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:49 pm

What's been bought and sold?
I am a tax noob who knows very little. I am thinking about buying shares but fear a downturn in price.

TaxAdviser2018

Postby TaxAdviser2018 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:33 am

Unless you can demonstrate that the activity that you are carrying on is a trade or business, any taxable profit or allowable loss would be subject to capital gains tax. In respect of losses, these would be carried forward and offset against future capital gains.

foxmccloud

Postby foxmccloud » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:00 pm

Unless you can demonstrate that the activity that you are carrying on is a trade or business, any taxable profit or allowable loss would be subject to capital gains tax. In respect of losses, these would be carried forward and offset against future capital gains.
Thank you!! I am slowly learning. BTW can you reccomend a book or resource that will give me an overview on this subject?

greybags1

Postby greybags1 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim56800

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”