This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Capital gains after dividing land

keltoria23
Capital gains after dividing land

Postby keltoria23 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Myself and my sister have inherited my father's property and provided relevant figures of its current value for probate. We plan to split part of the garden and sell this separately to the house, which will increase the value overall, but they will be sold separately. How will this affect capital gains tax? Thank you

AGoodman

Re: Capital gains after dividing land

Postby AGoodman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:21 am

It shouldn't make any real difference. Your acquisition value of the property is the probate value and any aggregate gains you make over this will be taxable.

If you sell the parcels in different tax years, you will need to apportion the probate value between the house and garden land.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”