This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet


Joined:Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:46 am

Postby bikeabouter » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:04 am

Hi all.
if there's a way through you can see through this, it'll be a great help!

There's a plot of land close which has planning permission for a 3 bedroom detached house on 3 levels in the town centre by the railway which I am pondering on buying.
However, I would like to change the house into 3 x I bedroom flats, as it offers me more flexibility for my situation, as I'm a bachelor and would like to rent out 2 of them and live in one myself, and then, if the time comes and I see another plot and need the cash to develop it, it gives me the option to sell one, two or all three.
The only problem with this however, is the CGT, for as far as I see, I only get relief on this monster tax on the one I declare as my principal private residence, not all three. So the way the tax structure is set up, it doesn't favour me or the town centre that needs small flats!

Is there any way through this or am I going to have to build a 3 bedroom detached house with lots of space which I don't need, so I dont get slammed!

Anyone see a way through this?

Thanx in advance!

Joined:Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm


Postby bd6759 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:00 pm

The tax structure is set up to tax income and gains. You only pay tax if you make a profit. Why do you think your money making venture should be exempt?

Joined:Fri May 16, 2014 3:47 pm


Postby AGoodman » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:18 pm

You're definitely paying some tax if you sell. You need advice on whether you can keep this to CGT at 28% or will have to pay income tax.

Return to “Property Taxation”