This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cashing in RSU's held in US - tax treatment

pb125770
Cashing in RSU's held in US - tax treatment

Postby pb125770 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi,

So I get awarded RSU's every year by my US based employer (Restricted Stock Units). These units vest on a quarterly basis over 8 quarters. I pay withholding tax on these through the selling of a small number of shares from the portfolio each year (in the US). I'm now looking to cash in a large chunk of those RSUs' - let's say £100k for the sake of argument. I'm receiving a range of opinions from my co-workers in terms of my potential CGT liability.

My understanding is that I take the 'fair value' of the stock at the time of vest and subtract that from the value at time of selling. The difference (assuming its a gain) is my taxable amount? So for example, if I cash in £100k worth of RSU's and the fair value prices at vest totalled £25k then I have to pay CGT on the £75k gain.

Does the fact that I've been paying withholding tax over a number of years have any bearing?

Or is it more complicated than that?

Is there an efficient way to cash these in (apart from the obvious pre-post April date)?

Thanks, Paul.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”