This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT Allowance when Unequal Ownership

Martintaxes
CGT Allowance when Unequal Ownership

Postby Martintaxes » Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:22 am

Hi TW,
My wife and myself are about to sell a BTL property and I am unsure about the £3000 CGT allowance. We own the house in 1%/ 99% shares and wondered if we both are still allowed to claim the £3000 allowance? If not, how is the allowance worked out please?
Many thanks in advance,
Martin.

wamstax

Re: CGT Allowance when Unequal Ownership

Postby wamstax » Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:27 am

each owner is taxable on their relevant share of the asset and entitled to their own annual exemption - assuming that the 1% gain exceeds £3,000 failing which that owner will only use so much of the annual exemption as is needed to make the share of the gain covered by the annual amount needd up to £3,000
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Martintaxes

Re: CGT Allowance when Unequal Ownership

Postby Martintaxes » Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:59 am

Perfect, thanks for the prompt reply!
We haven't yet put the property on the market and may decide to rebalance the ownership with a new deed/ Form 17, in advance. I estimate a gain of about 100k, and we also have some marginal tax limits to think about, so an e.g. 5%/95% may help here too.
Best regards,
Martin.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”