This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT for new non resident

david_uk_12345

Postby david_uk_12345 » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:30 am

I am planning to move to Andorra this autumn. I have residential property in the UK with substantial CGT liability. I intend a permanent move to Andorr. When can I sell my UK property with no CGT liability?

Taxbar

Postby Taxbar » Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:11 am

David,

I am assuming that this is not your only or main residence covered by PPR, but an investment property.

Then the first time it is safe to sell this property is the 6th of April 2004.

You will not be able to take up residence in the UK for 5 complete tax years to be sure that the gain will not be taxable in the UK.

Also, you will only be treated as provisionally non-resident until you have been out of the UK for 4 tax years, during which time you must not spend an average of more than 90 days a year in the UK.

If you want further advice on going non-resident including avoiding UK Inheritance Tax I will be happy to assist.

Daniel Feingold
Strategic Tax Planning
International & UK Tax Consultants
Tel : 0161 720 7244
E-mail: sedrate@easynet.co.uk

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”