This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on land and residential property

gmw
CGT on land and residential property

Postby gmw » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:59 pm

I would appreciate some guidance on how I would calculate capital gain.

I purchased a residential property which is not my home. I then purchased a piece of neighbouring land which is non-residential. Should I then want to combine some of the garden from the residential property with the piece of neighbouring land, I would like to understand the amount of capital gains that I have made. I have provided examples below with some imaginary figures.

Scenario 1
Residential Property purchased at £140,000
Land purchased at £7,000

Combined land and garden sold for £20,000

Therefore, is the capital gain £13,000, or is the capital gain reduced by using some of the £140,000? If so how is the amount worked out?

In this scenario how would this affect the capital gains made on the property if it was sold at a later date? i.e. would any capital gains made on the property be based on the original £140,000 purchase price, or a revaluation at the time of the land sale?

Scenario 2
Residential Property purchased at £140,000
Land purchased at £7,000

Residential Property built on land at a cost of £100,000 and sold for £150,000

Again, how would this affect the capital gains made on the original £140,000 property if it was sold at a later date?

maths

Re: CGT on land and residential property

Postby maths » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Scenario 1

It may well be that income tax not capital gains tax applies to any gain/profit on sale as your intention seems to be to purchase land/property with a view to reselling at a profit.

If CGT applies then the gain will be 20k less 7k less an apportionment of the 140k. The apportionment will depend upon various valuation factors.

Scenario 2

As for above with cost increased by 100k build.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”