This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT / primary residence / x-rental

pmus2017

Postby pmus2017 » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:42 am

I have owned a flat in Scotland for 6 years, in which I lived for the first two years. I then moved to London for one year and then New Zealand for the last three, living in rented accomodation, whilst letting my own property out. I would now like to sell the property and wondered how I might avoid CGT, perhaps by moving back in temporarily, although that is not ideal.

demetris

Postby demetris » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:37 am

It seems quite complicated.You may have to move in the property for three months to establish main residence and thus get the exemption from CGT. Assuming of course that the period away was for employment abroad or employment/self employment in the UK for up to 4 years, the gain will not be taxable for those absence periods.

But the exemption may be jeopardised if you during those periods of absence you had other proerties which qualified to be your principal private residences. I suggest you take proper professional advice before you make any decisions.

D. Savva BA FCCA
Demetris Savva BA FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info
Visit our website to subscribe to our FREE weekly newsletters on tax savings and business advice and you will automatically be sent your FREE Special Report on How to Sav Tax, written in plain language, full of down to earth advice and loaded with practical examples.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”