This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT rate on sale of inherited land

johnnie
CGT rate on sale of inherited land

Postby johnnie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:37 pm

Post probate, my brother and I aim to sell an inherited piece of land. If we sell with planning permission granted, will the CGT liability on the gain be 20%, or higher? The land has only ever been used as a garden, with no buildings on it.

bd6759

Re: CGT rate on sale of inherited land

Postby bd6759 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:16 am

18% or 28% depending on your marginal tax rate.

johnnie

Re: CGT rate on sale of inherited land

Postby johnnie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Thank you but I'm confused by TaxationWeb's response to "Sale of land with planning permission" by maths on Mar 30, 2017.
That reply states that "CGT rate should not exceed 20% so long as there is not, and has not, been a residential dwelling on the land (otherwise rate would be a maximum of 28%)."
Please could you clarify?

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”