This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Charity Shop Rental VAT

Wantila
Charity Shop Rental VAT

Postby Wantila » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi
I am hoping to open a charity shop & on the paperwork that's just come through they have added VAT to the rent.
Obviously being a charity and not VAT registered, I cannot claim this back. My question is, can I ask them not to charge VAT upfront being a charity?
Many thanks
Ian

greybags1

Re: Charity Shop Rental VAT

Postby greybags1 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Best you have a read of VAT Notice 742A especially section 3.5 as well as VAT Notice 708 section 14.

You may wish to reconsider the structure of this venture. For example thought could be given to having the shop trade through a wholly owned subsidiary of the charity and this limited company being VAT registered? If VAT registered this company will need to charge VAT on its sales depending on what is actually sold.

les35

Re: Charity Shop Rental VAT

Postby les35 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:08 pm

A Charity shop selling donated goods should register for VAT, to allow it to recover VAT on rent, etc.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”