This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Child Maintenance

richardsonjdt

Postby richardsonjdt » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:44 am

Since January 2001 I have voluntarily paid child maintenance to my childrens mother of £500.00 a month for my two children. Can I get tax relief on this payment and if so how do I go about it? Thank you.

Huw Williams

Postby Huw Williams » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:55 am

I am afraid that the simple answer is NO. Maintenance payments were tax deductible until the rules were changed in 1988. Maintenance arrangements in place at that time had a measure of protection, but new arrangements (such as one starting in 2001) are not tax deductible.

There may be other ways of providing for your children (such as putting money in trust till they reach 18) which could reduce overall tax bills, but there is no obvious way of giving them living expenses tax free in the meantime.

Huw Williams
enquiries@huwwilliams.co.uk

Return to “Income Tax”