This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Childcare and recently self employed with no immediate proof of earnings

rahul135aws
Childcare and recently self employed with no immediate proof of earnings

Postby rahul135aws » Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:39 pm

We have a 2 year old who was eligible for the 15 hours childcare for term Apr -June 24. We had applied for it with selecting myself as self-employed because I lost my job in December 23, post which I have decided to start off on my own and am going through a qualification to start offering my services in Sept 24. So no income until later this year or early next year.
I have been submitting my returns via self assessment for the last 7 years and will be doing so for 23-24 the same way. My partner and I have a net adjusted income of less than 100K for year 23-24.

Our request was rejected and when we appealed, Chilcare services have just come back with the following statement:

We need further information to review our original decision dated 27 February 2024. To help us decide whether you are eligible for Tax Free Childcare and Free childcare for working parents we need to confirm that your partner is self-employed and expected to earn a profit of at least £722.45 per month for the three months following your application. To help us do that, we need further evidence to confirm your partner's self-employment and we will need you to send: Copies of your partner's latest three months invoices. Copies of your partner's personal bank statements showing wages going into the account. Proof of expenses. Next steps: Once we have received this information, we will look at your application again and let you know our decision. If we do not hear from you by 16 June 2024, we will make a decision based on the information we already have. If you need any further information, please contact the helpline on 0300 123 4097 and quote your National Insurance number. You can send the evidence requested by post to the address at the top of this letter or online at www.gov.uk/guidance/challenge-a-childcare-service-application-decision. Using the link below How to ask for a review.

Since I have recently started off and dont have anything to show from an earnings perspective for both the above terms, I wanted to get feedback on how I should go back to Childcare services advising them of my situation and be eligible for 15 hours. I've heard of a 12 month grace period, but didnt see it on the offical website.

Thanks for your help.

bd6759

Re: Childcare and recently self employed with no immediate proof of earnings

Postby bd6759 » Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:34 pm

From a tax viewpoint - since this is a tax forum - you are not self-employed. You are currently preparing and setting up a business, but not yet carrying on a trade or profession.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”