This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Children Working

JKPOLYMERS
Children Working

Postby JKPOLYMERS » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:21 pm

According to GOV.UK about child employment a child can work part-time from the age of 13 without paying NIC or tax provided they're earning less than the threshold.
To keep my child out of trouble I was looking at the option of paying him to come to work with me giving her £100/£150 a week on weekends and during holidays.

What is the threshold for children aged 13 and below 18?

Can I make her earn his pocket money by working with me instead of giving her the money to use without doing anything?

What can I offer her and how will it work?

pawncob

Re: Children Working

Postby pawncob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:54 pm

The personal allowance is the same whatever the age, so £100 pw is well below the threshold.
There are many restrictions on what children can do, so make sure it's legal. :|
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

JKPOLYMERS

Postby JKPOLYMERS » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks pawncob for the reply.
She'll be cleaning a warehouse and picking up rubbish in the yard, so I'm sure it's law abiding. Then again someone might say its not.

Would I need to put her on the payroll? So technically she could be given 11k salary at the age of 13 for cleaning and pay for my holiday :P

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:17 pm

yes, but remember, HMRC regularly challenge the commercial reality of employing family members!
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:37 pm

You need to ask yourself how much you would pay an unconnected person to do that work. If you pay any more than that it won't be an allowable expense for your business.

Apart from that, you can give your daughter as much as you want for doing as little as you want.

Return to “Income Tax”