This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CIS deductions

Dpw0783
CIS deductions

Postby Dpw0783 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:33 pm

I am self employed with a relatively new business (just finishing 2nd year trading) its a plumbing and heating business. I started it with nothing except hand tools so everything is being purchased as I go along including an old van which has been nothing but trouble. The problem I've got is I want to grow my business with a new van and some dedicated advertising but CIS deductions are making it difficult. I'm having 20% deducted from my gross pay every week. Is there a way to be exempt from this because a new (or newer used) vehicle and advertising would be tax deductible. I feel like I'm being held back - I would be paying less tax for the short term I would be able to take on private work with would be more profitable and in turn I woukd pay more tax.

pawncob

Re: CIS deductions

Postby pawncob » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:10 am

You'll get a tax rebate at the end of the year, so use that to buy the van.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

RMC

Postby RMC » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:13 pm

If your past turnover is at least £30,000, you may be able to apply for gross payment status. For detailed conditions see
www.gov.uk/what-you-must-do-as-a-cis-su ... ent-status

RMC

Postby RMC » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:14 pm

But you will have to make payments on account.

Return to “Business Tax”