This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Claiming an item as an expense, then selling or returning that item

antlondon379
Claiming an item as an expense, then selling or returning that item

Postby antlondon379 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:10 am

Hello,

Let's say it's March 30th and my accountant is doing my accounts for the year. I buy an item for £1000, but a month or so later find that I don't need it or it's faulty or whatever.

I return this item and get my money back. What happens to my accounts for the previous tax year that claimed that £1000 as an expense? Do I have to declare straight away that I received a refund for the item or do I wait until the next set of accounts are due?

I am self-employed if that makes any difference.

Thank you for your help.

bd6759

Re: Claiming an item as an expense, then selling or returning that item

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 am

In most scenarios the refund will be treated as income or as a negative expense in the next period.

Return to “Income Tax”