This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Claiming mileage back from hmrc, buisness or personal?

Neversure
Claiming mileage back from hmrc, buisness or personal?

Postby Neversure » Fri May 18, 2018 8:42 am

Hi folks.

After a little guidance.

I am employed in one of the fixed rate tax refund jobs, and claim back my allowance via my tax code. I also claim back a fixed amount of mileage from hmrc as buisness-which it is. The fixed rate covers, as I understand it, washing of uniform etc

However, of late, I've had a requirement to transport uniform/items home for cleaning that i could not reasonably take by public transport, or carry on a bike etc. I have a responsibility to ensure the items are kept safe, and dont get lost/stolen. Its a once every 10 days journey, which over a year amounts to about 600 miles.

Could this be classed as buisness mileage for hmrc? No way my employer will pay me for it, but given its likely to be 3 or 4 times more than my fixed rate debate, I figured its worth checking.

AmanSood

Re: Claiming mileage back from hmrc, buisness or personal?

Postby AmanSood » Fri May 18, 2018 9:55 pm

Unfortunately not. travel home from your permanent workplace would not be classed as business mileage.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Neversure

Postby Neversure » Sat May 19, 2018 9:07 pm

Unfortunately not. travel home from your permanent workplace would not be classed as business mileage.
Even when transporting work items for home cleaning? If I had an accident whilst driving on such a journey, fairly sure I would need buisness insurance....

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:28 am

For tax purposes, the legislation states that ordinary commuting is not business travel. Are you suggesting that if you didn't have to take your uniform home to wash, you might not go home at all? If not, this will be a cost you incur with or without your washing.

Neversure

Postby Neversure » Sun May 20, 2018 3:42 pm

For tax purposes, the legislation states that ordinary commuting is not business travel. Are you suggesting that if you didn't have to take your uniform home to wash, you might not go home at all? If not, this will be a cost you incur with or without your washing.
Perfect, Thank you!

Could you point me in the direction of the legislation?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:27 pm

section 338(2) Income Tax (Employment and Pensions) Act 2008

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:29 pm

Sorry - 2003 not 2008

Return to “Income Tax”