This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Claiming relief for replacement windows

CapnBilly
Claiming relief for replacement windows

Postby CapnBilly » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:12 pm

I wonder if I could check my understanding is not flawed concerning repair relief. The property has 6 wooden double glazed windows [about 15 years old) and at least 2 of the windows need replacing. So we are considering replacing all 6 with UPC double glazed windows. As far as I understand PIM 2020, the property is the entirety, and windows are part of the property. On this basis the new windows are consider a repair, and deductible from income. We are also considering having the front door replaced at the same time, and as far as I can see, this is treated the same.

One final point is that the property belongs to my daughter, and was jointly owned with her ex husband until she bought his share out in August 2016. The property has been let to the same tenants for the last 3 years. The need for the windows was brought to our attention by a painter about 6 months ago. As far a small I can see this should not impact our ability to claim the relief.

bd6759

Re: Claiming relief for replacement windows

Postby bd6759 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:53 pm

Providing it is standard uPV windows, it will be considered a repair.

Return to “Property Taxation”