This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Commercial Lease - With Company other than Owner

riverrun
Commercial Lease - With Company other than Owner

Postby riverrun » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to have a commercial lease between the tenant and a company, when that company is not the registered owner of the property?

Background to this: I am looking to have the rental income from some of my properties paid into a company, while I remain as the owner, in order to reduce the tax burden. But I prefer not to transfer ownership of the properties. There are no mortgages on these properties.

Is this allowed, and are there any issues with this arrangement such as CGT exposure?

Appreciate any guidance on this.

Thanks in advance!

AGoodman

Re: Commercial Lease - With Company other than Owner

Postby AGoodman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:55 am

Yes, but it would require you to grant a lease to the company - which is still a property interest in the property. I don't think a lease of less than 7 years need be registered.

Tax treatment is very similar to that of a transfer of the freehold, just lower sums involved (depending on the duration of the lease). You would come up against SDLT and CGT issues as well as IHT if you did not receive payment (or shares) from the company in return.

The main problem is that you will end up paying more income tax overall - both CT and income tax on the resulting dividends out of the company.

Return to “Property Taxation”