This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Complex IHT dilemma

Confuso
Complex IHT dilemma

Postby Confuso » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi, can anyone help with my dilemma?

My father recently died and left the farm and farmhouse to his wife and son as tenants in common. Myself my sister adequately provided for in dad's will. I'm an executor and was getting on well...until...

I find paternal grandmother's will (in 80s) left me (only grandchild at time of her death) a 50% share of farm and farmhouse + all other assets in trust as tenants in common. I knew I received shares and cash, but never knew about the farm/house bit. And dad never mentioned it, which is strange for someone who was very organised (but he was an executor on his mum's will).

I don't want my share of the farm or farmhouse, how can I solve this. I'm not sure what names are on the deeds - I found land maps in dad's and grandmother's name, but not sure if these were updated after her death.

My brother doesn't live in farmhouse but may in future.

Thanks!

pawncob

Re: Complex IHT dilemma

Postby pawncob » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Firstly establish whose names are on the LR certificates. Do a search at LR and then repost.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”