This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Deferring State Pension

kevK
Deferring State Pension

Postby kevK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:21 pm

My parents are both retired, my father receives a state pension and a private work pension. My mother was a housewife all her life mainly due to bringing us up and she did suffer from some medical conditions.

An accountant friend advised them to defer the pension because they didn't need the money at the time and that they would get a better return by deferring.

So anyway my parents have decided to apply for her Pension. I tried to help them complete it online but the system wasn't allowing my Mother to register - so I have asked for them to send me a form. I have a couple of questions.

1) What date should I say for her pension claim to start from? From the day she turns 65?

2) Is it better to ask for a lump sum or extra pension income?

3) Is the lump sum taxable as my mother does not work?

4) Can you get an indication of what the amounts involved might be before agreeing to them?

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”