This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do I need to vat register

Nicsy peach
Do I need to vat register

Postby Nicsy peach » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:54 pm

Company A owns a property. It rents the property out for residential use to a private individual. Rental income earned is £100,000 per annum. Does the company A need to register for Vat. If so does it need to charge Vat.

Now Company A additionally provides some project management services. Income from fees invoice is £50,000 per annum.
Does company A need to reigister for VAT?
If so does it now need to charge Vat on rental

Company A additionally purchases items for clients. Disbursements are repaid to company A. If the sum of disbursements and project management income is more than &85000 does company a need to register for vat?

Financial Bookkeepers

Re: Do I need to vat register

Postby Financial Bookkeepers » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:03 pm

You must register for VAT with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if your business’ VAT taxable turnover is more than £85,000.

When you register, you’ll be sent a VAT registration certificate. This confirms:

your VAT number
when to submit your first VAT Return and payment
your ‘effective date of registration’ - this is the date you went over the threshold, or the date you asked to register if it was voluntary
You can register voluntarily if your turnover is less than £85,000, unless everything you sell is exempt. You’ll have certain responsibilities if you register for VAT.

les35

Re: Do I need to vat register

Postby les35 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:10 am

Residential lettings are exempt from VAT, so no obligation to register.
Project management is taxable. If the customers are in business, I would register, to recover input tax. Although you will need to check the Partial Exemption rules.
Genuine disbursements are outside the scope of VAT; HMRC Notice 700, Chapter 25 explains this. But expenses recharged to customers are not overheads, and so count towards taxable turnover.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”