This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do I qualify for personal allowance?

neilor
Do I qualify for personal allowance?

Postby neilor » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi,

I am completing my self assessment and assumed that I qualify for the UK personal allowance. However, the guidance relating to British Citizens working living abroad is more nuanced than I thought and I wanted to check that I am not claiming personal allowance incorrectly.

I'm a British citizen who moved over to Ireland in 2016 and lived and worked there for the full tax year (2016/17). During this time I rented my flat in London which has given me a taxable UK income of £6,050.

My parents were born in Ireland so I have automatic Irish citizenship as well as being a British Citizen (I was born in and brought up in the UK).

Is it appropriate for me to use 'Remittance basis' and claim personal allowances under DTA?

Many thanks in advance

Neil

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Do I qualify for personal allowance?

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:12 am

Hi

Yes you can claim Personal Allowance but not the Remittance Basis. There is legislation that prevents anyone domiciled in Ireland to claim remittance basis.

I would just check if indeed you are considered to be non resident in 2016-17 otherwise your whole Ireland income could end up being taxed in the UK and then would have to claim double tax relief.

Kind Regards

GTA

neilor

Re: Do I qualify for personal allowance?

Postby neilor » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Thanks GTA,

I really appreciate your help!

Neil

Return to “Income Tax”