This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Double tax and pay in lieu of notice

Greg Smith
Double tax and pay in lieu of notice

Postby Greg Smith » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:37 pm

Hello,

Last year I was dismissed with payment in lieu of notice. The company made this payment along with my salary on the 8th of April 2015 and tax and national insurance was deducted by the company. In my contract it's stated that payment in lieu of notice can be made upon leaving work. I've since become self employed and I need to fill in the self assessment for the year 2015-2016.

Will I have to pay tax on the money I received from my previous company after filling in the self-assessment ?

Thanks for your help.

section 44

Re: Double tax and pay in lieu of notice

Postby section 44 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:48 pm

{closes eyes and waits for the spirits to tell me what the amounts involved are}
Will I have to pay tax on the money I received from my previous company after filling in the self-assessment ?
Yes

section 44

Postby section 44 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:49 pm

... the voices are still there and they seem to have had a change of heart on the quantum of the amounts involved.
No

Greg Smith

Postby Greg Smith » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:34 pm

The total on my payslip was £2350. From that these deductions were taken: £293 - Tax, 200 - National insurance.

These are the fields in the self-assessment that I'm confused about:
  • Taxable lump sums and certain income after the end of your job - excluding redundancy and compensation for loss of your job:

Redundancy and other lump sum and compensation payments. Please read Help:

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:36 pm

You did not get reducndancy or compenation.

Your pay goes in box maked pay, and the tax deducted goes in the box maked PAYE tax deducted.

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 am

The tax treatment of PILONS is to a great extent determined by the facts of each case, the starting point is your contract of employment, if this states that you will be entitled to a PILON if your contact is cancelled then you will almost certainly be liable to IT (and NI).
The fact that the ER deducted tax and NI is not conclusive of the correct treatment since many employers protect themselves by taxing the payment and leaving the EE to sort the issue out themselves.
Your reference to the inclusion of the entitlement in your contract is not very clear, I would suggest you examine the contract in detail, but remember that even if entitlement is not comprised in the contract then it might still be taxable if it has been the custom and practice of the ER to make such payments

Return to “General”