This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

eBay Reseller - Self Assessment - China Import

Dean_Marshall
eBay Reseller - Self Assessment - China Import

Postby Dean_Marshall » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:29 am

Hi, I started two years ago buying staff from Chinese eBay sellers and reselling it locally here in the UK.
I offer guaranteed next day delivery and 100% feedback, so some buyers prefer to pay a bit more (20%) for the commodity of having reliable items.

I started it as a hobby, but past year I started to make a bit more money so I decided to pay taxes for it.
I am doing the Self Assessment (as a sole trader/self employee) and I have simple books: cash in - cash out.

The problem here is that for some products (big ones) I paid Import VAT etc using DHL, but for the small quantities of small items they just arrived home without passing customs, so I did not pay any import VAT or taxes on those.

I keep all the paypal/eBay invoices for my self-assessment but, should I include this purchases that did not pass through customs? Is there any way to do it (or pay them now)?

I just want to do the right thing for the tax man.

THANKS!

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: eBay Reseller - Self Assessment - China Import

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi

I probably would ignore the fact it was missed which was no intention on your part

If the volume is large then I would think about being VAT Registered and claiming back the VAT though one the downside you will also need to charge your customers VAT

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “General”