This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EIS capital gains deferral relief and SEIS reinvestment relief

tg99
EIS capital gains deferral relief and SEIS reinvestment relief

Postby tg99 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:36 pm

Say I invested £1k in SEIS shares and £500 in EIS shares in 16-17 and from other assets had realised net gains above the capital gains allowance of £1k. For SEIS capital gains reinvestment relief I get exemption on paying CGT on gains up to 50% of the amount invested so 50% x the £1k invested in SEIS means £500 of the gain from the other assets is not taxable.

Is it then the case that:

1. I can then defer the remaining £500 of gains from other assets using capital gains deferral relief afforded by the £500 invested in EIS shares such that I pay no CGT in 16-17? (Albeit this gain will get revived once the EIS shares are sold in the future.)

Or

2. Even though only 50% reinvestment relief is given for the amount invested in SEIS shares, the whole of the £1k gain from other assets has to be allocated against this such that there is nothing remaining to defer using the EIS and thus crystallising a cgt bill on the remaining £500 of the gain from other assets?

Thanks.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”