This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Emigrated, Split Year, How to state overseas salary on UK return.

andrews65
Emigrated, Split Year, How to state overseas salary on UK return.

Postby andrews65 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi, I'm completing my wife's UK self assessment tax return. We emigrated permanently from the UK to Canada in January 2017. My wife ceased UK employment in October 2016 and commenced Canadian employment in January 2017. HMRC's guidance tells me she is tax resident in the UK for all of the 16-17 tax year, and that 16-17 is eligible for split year treatment, with a split year date of 9th Jan 2017. We've both already filed form P85.

I'm not sure if/how I need to tell HMRC about my wife's Canadian income since January. Do I simply add the Canadian employment to the online self assessment and enter the income and tax details on the relevant page of the return? Do I do something different? Do I need to state the Canadian income at all since HMRC's calculator says "split year"?

Any help gratefully received, thanks.

darthblingbling

Re: Emigrated, Split Year, How to state overseas salary on UK return.

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Any foreign income in the overseas part of the year isn't taxable in the UK. No need to declare.

Return to “International Tax”