This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Employee Share Scheme

WINDSURFER
Employee Share Scheme

Postby WINDSURFER » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:41 am

My wife has retired from a company which operated a very complicated employee share scheme.Some shares were performance related & others purchased.The shares have been sold by the company & repayment to her is phased over several years, 2017/18 was about £4K . Despite requests to her former company it has proved impossible to work out how much was paid for the shares & therefore the capital gain.
My question is that as the amount received is less that the CGT yearly threshold is it still necessary to report it to HMRC as the actual gain/loss is unknown.
Thanks for any advice.

someone

Re: Employee Share Scheme

Postby someone » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:21 am

I'm no expert but I believe you don't need to report this (provided you haven't done anything else that triggers a need to do the CGT pages such as dispose of a let property)

if the value of the asset(s) is less than (approx) 44k and the gain is less than 11k then no need to report.

WINDSURFER

Re: Employee Share Scheme

Postby WINDSURFER » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks 'someone' for the advice. That is the answer I was hoping for.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”