This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Entrepreneurs Relief on Sale of building

Jambo55
Entrepreneurs Relief on Sale of building

Postby Jambo55 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi all,

I've read around this subject but I'd be really grateful for your input.

An individual owns a commercial office building personally, that is let to 4 different businesses, his is one of them he occupies around 25% - he wants to sell the building, but has a lease in place so will continue to rent the office for his own business use. My question is I think that the property disposal would qualify for entrepreneurs relief, but I have something nagging in the back of my mind that because the building will continue to be occupied / rented by the former owner, it isnt classed as a significant proportion disposal for ER - am I right or just being paranoid here! thanks in advance

AdamS93

Re: Entrepreneurs Relief on Sale of building

Postby AdamS93 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:31 pm

On the information provided the sale will not qualify for entrepreneurs relief.

Firstly, the associated disposal rules only apply when the company has use of the build and is NOT charged rent. The office building has to be treated as a normal investment property that the individual owns. Secondly, it has to be sold within 3 years of the business/shares being sold and it sounds like he still owns the company. The good news is that it is commercial property so 20% CGT rather than 28%.

Jambo55

Postby Jambo55 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks Adam thats really useful

Jambo55

Postby Jambo55 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:06 am

Adam - just a thought - as long as the business ceases to trade or is sold within 3 years of the building sales date ER would apply?

There hasnt been any rent charged for the premises so I'm fairly confortable with that, thanks again.

Return to “Income Tax”