This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EU national leaving UK and NICs

Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:11 pm

EU national leaving UK and NICs

Postby Lsp54 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:24 am

My client ceased UK self-employment in November 2018 and has returned home to Slovakia with her young family. She needs written confirmation that she is now off the NI system in the UK so she can access healthcare in her own country. The NI dept at Hmrc say she qualifies, and the only task ahead is her self-assessment tax return for this current year (small loss).
We have been advised by the NI office to complete form CA 3837 online, with the objective being to be turned down. Thus confirming the reason that she doesn't pay NI contributions in UK anymore. This sounds bizarre, and when I mentioned it to the client she declined as she felt the form was not relevant to her.
After many telephone calls to hmrc, does anyone have experience of this situation?

Many thanks for reading this rather long post.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”