This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Ex-partners share of income

umeshg1
Ex-partners share of income

Postby umeshg1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:07 am

I am not sure what is the best way to approach this situation

I have taken on a new client who has a few BTL properties . He still owns two properties with his ex-partner . He paid for the intial deposit on both properties and all rental income is received by my client. My client assumed his previous accountant was declaring 100% income from this two properties on his tax return. I just realised this is not the case. The mortgage is in joint names with his ex-partner. I understand the ex-partner has not completed her tax returns on her share of rental income. This is going back six years .

My client always assumed he was 100% benefical owner of this property.They did not do a declaration of trust to reflect the benefical ownership

Can I can an agreement from the ex-partner and file backdated amended returns for my client

Are there any CGT or SDLT implications

Any other practical suggestiions would be useful

Thank you

bd6759

Re: Ex-partners share of income

Postby bd6759 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:02 am

You should know that you can only amend returns within 12 months after the filing date.

Your client has under-declared his rental income. I'd suggest using the let property campaign to bring it up to date.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... disclosure

Return to “Property Taxation”