This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Fallout from partnership /tax problem

Georgemaitland
Fallout from partnership /tax problem

Postby Georgemaitland » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:57 pm

I have retired from a business partnership.The accounts were and remain a mess,especially the balance sheet.
I was making most of the money so declared a large income for the final year which was 75% of the partnership profits,but only took a half of it out in drawings, and incurred a huge income tax bill.
The P&L was agreed but the balance sheet not,so I’ve ended up having paid a lot of tax on profit which remains within the business in my capital account,and which my erstwile partners are refusing to pay.
I anticipate some expensive and drawn out litigation,is there a way I can cut my tax bill so I only pay based on what I’ve received,and not what is the retained capital which is in dispute and still retained in the business?

bd6759

Re: Fallout from partnership /tax problem

Postby bd6759 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:23 pm

Partnership profits are split (and taxed) in accordance with the partnership agreement. If that gives you 75% of the profits, that is what you are taxed on.

Georgemaitland

Postby Georgemaitland » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:02 am

But I have only received half of my profit share and the rest is in dispute with my former partner.Can I ask the revenue to allow me pay the tax on the profit I’ve personaly banked whilst the dispute with my erstwile partner over the balance,which is contained in my capital account, is resolved?

Georgemaitland

Postby Georgemaitland » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:07 pm

Anybody with any suggestions?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Consult a solicitor. This is a legal problem, not a tax one.

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm

I can see there is a tax issue there but I'm afraid I can't see any way to avoid tax on your allocated share of profits (that doesn't mean there isn't some provision somewhere but doubtful).
Worth asking a tax lawyer or accountant to investigate it properly

Return to “Income Tax”