This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

First Self Assessment

SH88
First Self Assessment

Postby SH88 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:54 am

Hello.
Sorry I’m advance for what is probably a super-dumb series of questions.

I have been creating mobile apps since mid-2016.
I received a few tiny payments totalling less than £200 during that first year.

In 2017, the revenue being generated started to increase significantly, to a point where I was receiving regular, monthly payments.

This lead me to officially registering as a sole-trader in September 2017 as I wanted everything to be legit and above board.

I am now coming to the end of my first official Tax Year based on my registration, so all earnings 06th April 2017 - 05th April 2018 will of course be included in my first years earnings. That’s fine, I think.

My question is, what do I do about the small amount earned during 06th April 2016 - 05th April 2017 when I was just starting out developing apps?

Can I add them to my first years earnings somehow?
Or do I have to back-date a Tax Return and pay a fine?
Or can they be forgotten given how low the earnings actually are and be considered a hobby until I registered as a Sole-Trader?

Originally I was just going to add them to my first years books, but I don’t want to confuse matters down the line.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Have a great day.

pawncob

Re: First Self Assessment

Postby pawncob » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:22 pm

This was made just for you.

http://www.ukbudget.com/newsroom-budget2016/1000-tax-free-allowance-granted-for-small-traders-and-landlords.aspx
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “General”