This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Flood Relief

pawncob
Flood Relief

Postby pawncob » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:55 pm

G'day All,
I act for a Flood Defence Trust (and registered charity) which is about to spend a large sum on re-aligning the entrance to a harbour which is threatening to flood a village. The project involves moving several hundred thousand cubic metres of shingle and local authority and Government departments and other Quangos are on board.
We are trying to save or recover the VAT element of the contract, but I can't find any way this can be done as no building is being constructed and there is no supply being made.
Anyone know of a way to reclaim or achieve a lower rate of VAT, either directly or through legislation applicable only to L.A.s/Quangos or other N.G.O.s ?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

kingmaker

Re: Flood Relief

Postby kingmaker » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Sorry all flood damage repair and flood defence build work is subject to full rate VAT. The VAT exemptions that apply for new build properties and home insulation upgrade work do not apply.
I'm looking for VAT advisory work & subcontracting work from accountants

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”