This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Freelance worker for overseas LLC - How to start paying tax

marcus84
Freelance worker for overseas LLC - How to start paying tax

Postby marcus84 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:14 pm

Hello everyone, hoping you can help.

I have a standard 9-5 job where I get a salary of £20k paid monthly, I pay tax for that within the tax code range I am in as normal. Its PAYE I believe but not sure what that means.

Now I have a second job which is working as a freelance programmer online for an LLC company based in the US, the firm is a subscription based website offering access to a forum where subscribers can download digital content. I am a backend programmer for the company developing the digital content.

Subscriptions are paid in $ via PayPal, each week I am paid 50% of the business profits for that week (This is calculated via subscriptions vs disputes and server costs for hosting). The owner is tax deducting me as a business cost in his tax.

I am starting to receive more and more each week now since the beginning of the year when I started, its starting to hit circa $300-500 a week so obviously I need to start paying tax.

How do I go about this, what would you recommend?

I am unable to commit any of my income as a business cost really because develop the software using freeware tools provided by Microsoft so I fear that whatever comes into PayPal in a week is 100% tax deductable. Also I want to register myself correctly in order to avoid big tax increase for my PAYE job.

I want to get some initial advice so that I can go to a company with the right information at hand to speed the process up. Avoid additional cost and stress.

Last question, I have done freelance work on and off for around 10 years mainly via Freelancer forums where people hire out for random projects. I have been paid very irregular in this, nothing like the current earnings and it's often been paid in all sorts of manners (Digital items, PaySafeCard, Bitcoins etc) so I would find it very difficult to include this in any returns, so I would be looking to start it from January where this current work started to become a regular income. What are your thoughts there?

Thankyou.

Return to “Business Tax”