This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Fuel tax

Jarvis16
Fuel tax

Postby Jarvis16 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:47 am

Hi,

I have just this year gone on to the online method of doing my tax return.

Question -

My company deducted from my salary £400 a monthly for fuel for my private car. ( total £4800 for the year )
My actual fuel usage on the fuel card was only £2950

I have over paid by £1850.

Can you anyone tell me where i show this on my tax return ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

RMC

Re: Fuel tax

Postby RMC » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:50 pm

The deduction from your wages was probably re both your car and fuel benefit. You coughing up would save them having to submit forms P11D and you to report the benefit on your tax return. You have probably signed an agreement to the effect when the company card was first provided to you, ask the HR for a copy.

If they cannot provide you one the employer might be guilty of unauthorised deductions from wages and you have a case to take to the Employment Tribunal.

I assume that the employer is not quite your company.

bd6759

Re: Fuel tax

Postby bd6759 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:33 am

Can you anyone tell me where i show this on my tax return ?
You don't. This is not a tax matter.

Return to “Income Tax”