This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift from overseas donor who later becomes UK resident.

RSKUK
Gift from overseas donor who later becomes UK resident.

Postby RSKUK » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:59 am

Hello all. If my Korean spouse gifts me an amount to my UK bank account below the nil-rate band of gbp sterling 325,000 while Korean resident and say 5 months later moves permanently to the UK becoming UK resident and non-uk domiciled,would there be any tax liability? The money would be from the sale of her property in her sole ownership. The money gifted to me would be used to buy a family home in UK.
Thank you for your time.

maths

Re: Gift from overseas donor who later becomes UK resident.

Postby maths » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:33 pm

I assume she is not domiciled in the UK (broadly, a Korean national).

In which case no UK tax charges on the gift (even if in excess of 325,000).

RSKUK

Postby RSKUK » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Thank you for your reply. I understood your reply stating no tax on remittance of gift but if my wife were to die within 7 years of the gift would i need to pay IHT on any amount over gbp 325000 if she were uk resident /non-domiciled ? In this case, I am wondering if IHT may be an issue.

RSKUK

Postby RSKUK » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Apologies to maths. Please disregard my last post here on the domicile question. I had already posted a similar question in the IHT Topic category to which you and another contributor kindly answered. Unfortunately, I never received an email alert about replies to this topic only just now receiving an email so i repeated the question in the international topic category. My apologies.

RSKUK

Postby RSKUK » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Sorry. The late hour here has muddled my brain!
My original question relating to the 7 year rule still stands ! My question being, if my wife were to die within 7 years of the gift would i need to pay IHT on any amount over gbp 325000 if she were uk resident /non-domiciled ? In this case, I am wondering if IHT may be an issue. Apologies. Thank you.

Return to “International Tax”